Ten Years of City of Bones: Week Nine (Quotes)

11:32 PM


I was going to post this on Friday but I'm kind of in denial that the celebration is almost done so I did find myself procrastinating just a smidge. Where did the time go? Do we really have only one more week left of my very first meme? Further, is City of Bones really 10 years old?! 

Man. I just really want to thank everyone who has taken the time to participate in these questions and this getting to know you dance we've been doing for almost ten weeks. While I've nearly completed these tasks, you are more than welcome to join in at any time and work at whatever pace you wish. To learn more about Ten Years of City of Bones, click on "celebration" in the very first sentence of this post.

And now, to the Tardis main attraction!


THE THEME/questions
Tell us your top ten favourite quotes from any of the series set in The Shadowhunter Chronicles. Why are they your favourite? (If you can't narrow it down to ten, or reach ten, do however many you want.)



I'm not going to actually count how many quotes I include because, frankly, there will be a lot. Lots of funnies, lots of "why are you breaking my heart right now?" and all that jazz.  I'm not going to lie, I have a lot of favourite quotes and bits from The Mortal Instruments.

To be fair, I have a lot of favourites from The Infernal Devices and The Dark Artifices, too, but for now, I will focus on TMI.

“What's the point in wasting a perfectly good brick wall when you have someone to throw against it, that's what I always say.”


FAVOURITE QUOTES FROM THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS 


#1. The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.


 #IMFINE #DELETEME 


#2. "I have a high pain threshold. In fact, it's more of a large and tastefully decorated foyer than a threshold. But I do get easily bored."



 #3.“The most terrible things men do, they do in the name of love."



 #4. “You might want to lie down," Magnus advised. "I find that it helps when the crushing sense of horrible realization sets in.” 



 #5. “There's no need to clarify my finger snap," said Magnus. "The implication was clear in the snap itself.”



#6. “I was alive when the Dead Sea was just a lake that was feeling a little poorly.” 

 

 #7. “Alec looked at her and shook his head. "How do you manage never to get mud on your clothes?"
Isabelle shrugged philosophically. "I'm pure at heart. It repels the dirt.

#8. “If you really love something, you never try to keep it the way it is forever. You have to let it be free to change.” 

#9. “There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.


 #10. “Malachi scowled. "I don't remember the Clave inviting you into the Glass City, Magnus Bane."
"They didn't," Magnus said. "Your wards are down."
"Really?" the Consul's voice dripped sarcasm. "I hadn't noticed."
Magnus looked concerned. "That's terrible. Someone should have told you." He glanced at Luke. "Tell him the wards are down.” 

#11. “In the end that was the choice you made, and it doesn't matter how hard it was to make it. It matters that you did.” 

#12. Maybe that was why she couldn't cry, she realized, staring dry-eyed at the ceiling. Because what was the point in crying when there was no one there to comfort you? And what was worse, when you couldn't even comfort yourself?

#13. “Hearts are breakable," Isabelle said. "And I think even when you heal, you're never what you were before."

#14. “Thank you,” Simon said. “It’s a joke, Isabelle. He’s the Count. He likes counting. You know. ‘What did the Count eat today, children? One chocolate chip cookie, two chocolate chip cookies, three chocolate chip cookies . . .’”

There was a rush of cold air as the door of the restaurant opened, letting in another customer. Isabelle shivered and reached for her black silk scarf. “It’s not realistic.”

“What would you prefer? ‘What did the Count eat today, children? One helpless villager, two helpless villagers, three helpless villagers...” 


 #15. “We can buy you one of those books they have for little kids 'Timmy Has Two Dads'. Except I don't think they have one called 'Timmy Has Two Dads and One of Them Was Evil'. That part you're just going to have to work through on your own.” 
 #16. But maybe you never really had someone, she thought now. Maybe, no matter how much you loved them, they could slip through your fingers like water, and there was nothing you could do about it.
 #17. "I think of myself as a freewheeling bisexual," added Magnus.

"Please never say those words in front of my parents," said Alec. "Especially my father."


 #18. “Does she still love you?"
"I don't think so," Magnus said dryly. "She wasn't very pleasant the last time I saw her. Of course, that could be because I've got an eighteen year-old boyfriend with a stamina rune and she doesn't."
Alec sputtered. "As the person being objectified, I ... object to that description of me.”
 

#19. “Isabelle.” Magnus’ hands loosened; he looked a little wide-eyed, as if his outburst had startled even him. “I am sorry. I forget, sometimes . . . that with all your self-control and strength, you possess the same vulnerability that Alec does.”
“There is nothing weak about Alec,” said Isabelle.
“No,” said Magnus. “To love as you choose, that takes strength. The thing is, I wanted you here for him. There are things I can’t do for him, can’t give him . . .” For a moment Magnus looked oddly vulnerable. “You have known Jace as long as he has. You can give him understanding I can’t. And he loves you.”
“Of course he loves me. I’m his sister.”
“Blood isn’t love,” said Magnus, and his voice was bitter. “Just ask Clary.” 

#20.  He'd burn the whole world down til he could dig out you of the ashes.

#21. “You have a dark heart in you, Valentine’s daughter,” he said. “You just won’t admit it. And if you want Jace, you had better accept it. Because he belongs to me now.” 

#22. We are all the pieces of what we remember. We hold in ourselves the hopes and fears of those who love us. As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.

#23. “Heroes aren't always the ones who win," she said. "They're the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don't give up. That's what makes them heroes.” 

#24. “There are memories that time does not erase... Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable.” 

#25. “Every time I think I'm missing a piece of me, you give it back.”

#26. “Herondales." Zachariah's voice was a breath, half laughter, half pain. "I had almost forgotten. No other family does so much for love, or feels so much guilt for it. Don't carry the weight of the world on you, Jace. It's too heavy for even a Herondale to bear.” 

#27. “It wasn’t sexy,” he said.
“It was a little sexy,” Simon said…
“It wasn’t,” said Alec.
“I had some feelings,” said Simon.

#28. “I think sometimes we are reckless with our hearts the way we are with our lives. When we give them away, we give every piece. And if we do not get what we so desperately need, how do we live?” 


I think I did a good job narrowing it down! Now, I know what you're thinking: Jessica, 28 is SO NOT narrowing it down. But, to be fair, it kind of is. For me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate